Z-health provides the lens that I use to help me build the best program for the individual I am working with. Using mobility, vision and balance drills, coordination games, and an idea that exercise should improve my physical function, my mental function, and promote longevity and well being, without having to beat myself up.
Suffering is not a requirement for success
Movement is one of the keys to long, healthy, happy life. Coming from a brain based approach, there are a couple ideas that are important. One of which is that we are amazing pattern recognition masters at birth! As humans, we have developed our ability to spot patterns, and act based on our memories of those patterns. We can at the speed of thought, predict the outcome of the events we observe in our daily lives. Like knowing someone will cut you off in traffic, or that the donut box being brought to your door means tasty goodness.
- The central nervous system is in charge:the brain processes information coming in from eyes, balance, joints, muscles etc. and predicts whether we are in danger, or can we relax
- if there is no threat, then we get pain free, full strength, full range of motion movement
- if there is a danger, or a lack of confidence in the predicted outcome, we may lose strength, range of motion, and sometimes feel pain, even if there is no damage
- the eyes are the primary way we gather information about our environment, finding the horizon, judging distances, shapes, size etc, and if we can’t see well, we lack confidence in our movements, so we slow down, which means moving less
- our balance system helps orient our bodies to the horizon (even if we can’t see!) but head injuries (even small bumps) some infections and medications, can all compromise this system and make it harder to find where upright is, which means we slow down, get closer to the ground for safety, and move less…..(see a trend?)
- our joints, skin, muscles and other tissue has receptors, cells that take signals like movement, joint position, heat, cold, vibration, stretch, contraction, movement, and tell the Nervous system what it needs to know, to predict the outcome of any action.
- Eyes, Balance and Movement are all intertwined to keep us alive, healthy, and moving without pain!
- You can improve, and maintain the function of all of those systems, without beating yourself up or mortgaging your future, your happiness or bank account.
Z-Health has provided me with a sophisticated assessment process that can help
- Identify the areas that could use more practice or fine tuning
- Find a drill or game that develops that skill with the least effort and highest payoff
- Fit these drills and recovery strategies into their personal daily practice
- Develop a program that provides simple, sustainable, realistic ways to keep making progress
If you would like to know more, contact me to set up an assessment, join a class, or check out the link to Z-Health at the top of the page.